Tuesday, August 28, 2007

SMART Board Technology


One of the most exciting things to come along in the field of education recently is interactive whiteboards, or SMART Boards. We have recently purchased two of these for our middle school, and the possibilities for enhanced classroom instruction seem endless.

Each of our classrooms is already equipped with a computer projector, allowing teachers to use Power Point and the Internet as a part of their daily lessons. Now, with the advent of SMART Board technology, teachers and students will be able to interact with the board, in front of the class, in much the same way one would use a computer. In fact, a SMART Board works when the computer is connected to it, thus, it becomes an extension of the computer.

The next several posts on this blog will be devoted to SMART Boards and their potential for reaching the very large pool of visual learners that we deal with on a daily basis. We welcome your comments and suggestions for innovative use of this cutting-edge educational tool.

3 comments:

Jim Hollis said...

I'm working with a group of teachers who are also beginning to use Smart Boards in the classroom. Smartboards can have a tremendous impact at all levels, especially middle school. Kids need a little extra stimulus these days and a Smartboard is a great tool to allow students to actively participate in their learning. It will take a little commitment on the part of the teachers as well as support from administration (which it appears they have!) but it's all worth it. The key is to provide teachers real opportunities to use the Smart Boards effectively and give them the time and training they need.

As part of an EdTech grant, I was hired to train and support teachers in their use of technology. One of the first things I'm doing is creating a blog with "fresh" content each day about using Smartboards in the classroom. Please feel free to share the blog with your teachers.

Teachers Love SMART Boards

K. J. Palmer said...

Thanks for your comment. I will include your site on my next post in addition to discussing it with our faculty.

Jim Hollis said...

Thanks K.J.!

I'm having fun trying to keep my smartboard blog up to date for my teachers.

My teachers seem to like training videos so if you have anything you'd like me to create and put on my blog, just let me know!

Cheers!

Jim